Friday, April 1, 2016

Suspense and Dramatic Elements

As I am sitting in class today, I am researching a couple more tips on how to make a great suspenseful and dramatic scene. The first link I found broke it down to me in six simple steps. I would say that 5/6 of these steps apply directly to my vision, while one of them not so much. I am only making a film opening with a maximum time limit of two minutes, so my first scene is going to be about 30-40 seconds. An example I would like to bring up is step four from the website. It states, "Avoid showing the most dramatic scene first. It will make the tension rise dramatically, but only temporarily, so if you present it too early, you've lost your momentum. It is OK to show it just barely to get the audience's attention." This whole scene starts dramatically and ends dramatically. Remember, this scene takes place in the present, and the rest of the movie takes place one day earlier, so showing this scene to its most dramatic and action-packed potential is essential from both the beginning and end.

 Another link I found offers great tips to think about when making an action movie chase scene. Most of this information is not really new to me, but some of it definitely reinforces some of my thought process on how I am going to compose some of my shots. For example, in Method 2: Filming, a kety tip that stands out is trying to get a lot of different camera angles even if some of them won't even be used. Having a wide variety of shots and angles can really help out in the editing process because you have so many options to choose from.

Looking forward to getting home today to film the first scene of my film opening! Be on the lookout for some raw footage coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment